OT: dalstonoxfamshop

alanforduk ford.alan@...
Sat Aug 22 20:53:41 CEST 2009

Can't remember where I heard about this website, it might have been here and maybe I'm preaching to the converted.
Anyway, this guy apparently finds old tapes for sale in the Dalston Oxfam Shop, rips them, and posts them here

http://dalstonoxfamshop.blogspot.com/

The latest is the old NME classic Pogo a Go Go tape (check out Love Lies Limp!), but a fantastic one I've been listening to this week is Star Taxi Music. This what he says about it:

"In the bins at Dalston Oxfam Shop this week I discovered two tapes made by SABTA, the South African Black Taxi Association. I can't find virtually any information about them on the net, but they are musical compilations made of mostly South African pop from 1988 interspersed with some hilarious ads and commentary, intended for taxi drivers to play for their passengers during rides. This is not just irony in action, however. Some of the tunes are really great and this cassette and music will not appear anywhere on ebay or the net. I think my favorite track on here is Siyaya E Jerusalema by the Holy Spirits Choir, but also very good are Money by Splash and Ushukela Mningi Lapha by Ashiko. But you have to listen to some of the interludes as well"

http://dalstonoxfamshop.blogspot.com/2006_10_01_archive.html

The link to download side a as one file seems to be broken, but I'll upload both sides as two files as soon as I can.

Cheers

Alan