Holidays, webcasts, and so on

Tom & Cheryl Roche troche@...
Sat Aug 8 15:28:26 CEST 2009

Mister Ken G mentioned  in passing his recent holiday in (unstated
regions) of the USA. I do hope he was not in the Atlanta area and
missed out on the chance to buy him a beer and/or some BBQ. And that
goes for - as some folk say here - "all ya'll" on the list. If you
are passing through here do look me up.

I can't say Atlanta can offer the same historic perspective that a
tour of Britain might - hey we have a bar here that has been open
since 1939! That passes for longevity here. A friend from Swansea who
visited the US for the first time said Atlanta "looked like a movie
set." Well so be it. If we go to any pubs newer than 1939 I yell
"Action" and "Cut!" a lot.

Speaking of Atlanta, which we conveniently now are, we have a one of
a kind radio station here you might want to explore. And no it is not
a nerdy "college station" playing art-damaged noise. It is an AM (MW
to you) station owned buy a wealthy baking executive who, instead of
retiring, bought a radio station to just sort of play around. It is
is his only broadcast property - an anomaly in these chain ownership
days - and he has hired a good staff to play mostly what they want,
and the station has amassed a huge music library. If they focus on
anything it might be US southern regional blues and soul, but there
is plenty of everything else old, way old, new and way new.

http://www.1690wmlb.com/

Specifically may I direct you to a weekly show later today from 4-6PM
eastern US time which I guess would be 9PM UK time. The Stomp And
Stammer radio hour(s) is hosted by Jeff Clark and named after the
magazine he publishes -- and I write for sometimes. He is John Peel
affectionado and sort of patterns his programs the way John would
have done.

tom in atlanta