[peel] Re: any interest in an early nineties cassette collection?

Martin Wheatley martinw@...
Wed Apr 22 10:29:18 CEST 2009

At 00:02 22/04/2009, Ken wrote:

>Although Martin is right in one sense that to tape everything -
>every Radio 1 show, every day! - before the digital era would have
>been an impossible and thankless (not to mention pointless) task -
>it is also fair to make the point, as Peel often did (based on a
>discovery of Walters' back in the late 70s), that, bizarrely, every
>single weekly edition of Gardeners' Question Time, Start The Week,
>The Archers and Down Your Way, were recorded and archived for
>posterity, but no-one then ever dreamed of such a policy for Peel's
>shows, which we would agree were of equal if not greater cultural importance.
The difference between those sorts of shows and Peels was not cultural.
It was that the shows were non-music so the BBC held the copyright
to the whole show whereas music shows like Peels' contained music
that was owned by other people.   Keeping the non-music shows only
was the easy way out since they didn't have to approach the copyright issues
whilst at the same feeling they were doing their duty for posterity

martinw