Peel's Contract / BBC Written Archives

ken garner ken_garner@...
Mon Apr 20 19:15:51 CEST 2009

ah! happy days! On first arrival, or on your return after a long absence, the written archive seems a peculiar, anachronistic, very formal place, somehow out of time - but it only takes a few minutes immersed in it to fall in love with its discreet but astonishing potential. Every research student I have known who has been there says the same thing: 'I was terrified when I arrived, but within an hour I had fallen in love with it!' Pity the Guardian pics do not show the main reading room, microfilm shelves (in a corridor) which contain all the Radio PasB scripts in little boxes, or the microfilm reader room, which are the places I came to know best. I plan to ask to go back late this summer for a couple of days to check the anomalies and gaps that have emerged since Peel Sessions went to press: so get your requests in now!

ps. anyone in theory can apply to go, although academics and contracted authors are favoured, but you have to be flexible and fit in when they have the time and seat(s) for you on the public access days, and give a genuine scholarly reason why. Details here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/heritage/more/wac.shtml