[peel] Re: Peel Tyrannosaurus Rex session discovered

Gert Stuut dutch_record_59@...
Sat Apr 4 19:47:56 CEST 2009

Ken,

I will forward your message to Nigel Lees.

Cheers,
Gert

________________________________
From: ken garner <ken_garner@...>
To: peel@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, April 4, 2009 6:15:36 PM
Subject: [peel] Re: Peel Tyrannosaurus Rex session discovered

Thanks, I know that news will excite a few people. It's true the duo's 2nd (for NightRide), then 3rd and 4th (Top Gear) sessions have been officially 'missing' for a long time (producer Bernie Andrews who recorded them did personally keep some classic sessions safe, but not these, I think), and would only turn up if on off-air tapes. Nigel Lees's announcement gets the TX date right (24th March), and the titles broadcast in that Top Gear right, though there were two other tracks from the session recording held on 11 March not broadcast unti the 'repeat' on 5th May (not the 3rd, a typo in my book, my mistake) - Mustang, and Strange Orchestra. But Lees's comment that Peel announces Afghan Woman as 'Strange Orchestras" gives me cause to wonder if the same piece had alternate titles? Anyone know? And I wonder if Lees and his label is aware of what's emerged lately in fragments of Top Gears (see the Peel wiki and the show fragments for 68/69)...

...mind you, I doubt if Universal, now holder of the TRex rights, will be sanguine about any possible attempt to put out these discoveries on Lees's Top Sounds label - Sue will probably want to do a reissue of the recent-ish boxed set with the new discoveries included!

If you are in contact with Lees you should also tell him to keep the new Radio 1 media manager and archivist Richard Jeffery informed about his discoveries - this much is only fair