Unusual request on the Peel show

thebarguest thebarguest@...
Fri Apr 3 19:39:50 CEST 2009

I've been listening to the latest 400Box batch - excellent stuff.
If anyone hasn't heard "Ricky's Hand" by Fad Gadget, you must do so
before you die.

Right at the end of the show dated 7th May 1980, Peely reads out a
request from a 'Hugh Strangler' who would like 'Rescue' by Echo and the
Bunnymen to be played for the inmates of Pentonville jail.

I remember this sorry chapter in The Stranglers' history. Singer
Hugh Cornwell was jailed for drugs posession by a zealous judge who
wanted to make an example out of him !