Problem tape

bty997881 roger.carruthers@...
Wed Sep 10 17:03:10 CEST 2008

I am but a single tape away from returning my first batch of 'The 400', but this last tape is
proving to be a right bastard.
 Although there's no visible damage, the tape will not play all the way through, despite
having been re-housed three times, numerous rewinds, and having tried it in three different
machines - a Denon, a Tascam and a Marantz. The Marantz actually managed to get all the
way through one side, but cannot play the other.
It's very odd, because there is no damage that you can see, but somehow the tape becomes
very reluctant to move in the middle section and eventually grinds to a halt. It doesn't appear
to be contaminated in any way ( I once had a box of tapes that got covered in olive oil after
an emergency stop in a VW camper, and boy were they difficult to play ;-) ), and the spools
appear to be evenly wound.

 So should I give up on this one (tape 080 , 21.5.79, btw) and return them to Rocker, or does
anyone have any suggestions?
cheers
Roger