John Peel Day 2008

ken garner ken_garner@...
Wed Sep 10 13:36:37 CEST 2008

My understanding from Peel's last producer Louise Kattenhorn at Radio
1 was that - somewhat akin to how Thanksgiving in the USA is a
somewhat moveable feast in November -  they fixed on it being always
the second Thursday in October, being in scheduling terms the closest
regular day of the week to the date of Peel's last show, which was
Thursday 14th October 2004. By my reckoning that means Peel Day 08
should be Thurs 9 October, as you suspected. The general consensus
has always been to mark this date rather than that of his death, the
idea being that what happens is trying to continue his great work,
rather than mark an end. I have no idea what if anything Radio 1 plan
to do this year, but I shall ask...

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "tajmall" <abcdetc@...> wrote:

> Is there officially a date for John Peel Day 2008?
>
> Apologies if this topic's already been covered on this list, but I
didn't get far when I did a
> search of older posts. I've also got differing reports from various
web-searches of the day -
> though Thursday 9 October 08 is looking most likely at the moment.
>
> Asking because we want to mark the anniversary -as is becoming
custom round my way. If
> nothing else the psychopop band called Etc will rip into 'Teenage
Kicks' at their gigs during