[peel] Archiving the tapes

ROGER CARRUTHERS roger.carruthers@...
Thu Sep 4 14:15:43 CEST 2008

Right, the general rule for archiving being, 'just
make as accurate a copy as possible', the idea being
that it's much easier to modify the copy later, than
to undo any modifications made in the past (cf. the
awful butchery some of us have committed on our
recordings by over-zealous use of the pause button).
 Also, the future is likely to provide better tools
for doing stuff than we have now. For example noise
reduction and pitch/speed changing algorithms are
constantly improving, so you can bet your bum that if
you process the files with what's considered to be
state-of-the-art  now, someone looking at them in the
future will hate you for it.
 That said, there is also the Silk Purse/Sow's Ear
theorem, and at the end of the day, whatever people
have done with their recordings, we all appreciate the
time you've put in,
cheers
Roger