[peel] Archiving the tapes

RobF robfleay@...
Thu Sep 4 11:38:32 CEST 2008

Good question - I have pitch-corrected & normalised all my
archive flacs, so there is no going back for me now!

I haven't tried to mess with the EQ, but I have fixed any
glitches and drop outs and glued together shows into a
single flac where they have been split over various tapes.

> Before committing my first batch to DVD and returning
them to Rocker, I just want to confirm
> that we're all reading from the same playlist wrt
archiving, ie. the .flac copies are just
> straight recordings, as they come, and not to be tweaked
in any way, right ?

>  The reason I ask is that although it would be normal
practice when archiving /not/ to do any
> EQ , pitch correction, noise reduction etc. I'm just
wondering where we stand on, say a tape
> that becomes one-legged in parts, ie. one channel fades
to virtually nothing but noise? As
> these are all mono recordings, I would normally correct
this, but wondered whether you'd
> prefer it just as it is (for the archive copy) ?
>
>  I will almost certainly clean up the .mp3 copies I
upload, but I'm assuming the archive
> copies exist simply as insurance against the million
things that can, and too frequently do,