[peel] Re: Did Peel ever play Tom Waits?

Thomas Blatchford tabdrinkink74@...
Wed Oct 29 00:46:50 CET 2008

Do you mean this interview Ken?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sRJf1J3OnD0

________________________________
From: ken garner <ken_garner@yahoo.com>
To: peel@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, 28 October, 2008 23:34:24
Subject: [peel] Re: Did Peel ever play Tom Waits?

yes, peel did play Nebraska I think, and he had played Born To Run, and stuff from
Darkness on The Edge of Town, as previously documented here. I remember being
astonished the first time i visited Peel Acres, in 89, when I was browsing upstairs in John's
LP collection, to find a line of springsteen albums. JOhn was down the bunk bed steps,
immediately below me, and I said 'I don't want to upset you John, but I've just found some
Springsteen albums up here', 'oh there's far more appalling stuff than that up there, I
know..' he said (or something like that).

By the way, Hannah from R1 tells me she has indeed found the 4-skins session
recordings, with an entry saying 'not in Ken's book' attached to the catalogue entry, and a
notice in the separate Romeo computer archive saying "recorded June 81 but not
broadcast after Southall riots" - which confirms our correspondent' s story. No sign of
session sheet, however. Peel was interviewed in a BBC1 TV Nationwide piece on Oi on 9
September 81, which also is in the archive, apparently: the catalogue says of his bit: "JOHN
PEEL, on late'70's nazism trend-Joy Division, New Order(6.25-7. 28)bands not responsible
for fans(10.15-11) like shock value(13.10- 30)" which is no doubt a selective summary!