Did the 4 Skins ever record a session

Steve so_it_goes_2512@...
Mon Oct 27 04:43:38 CET 2008

Dear 'her'

Thank you for finally clearing this up: though I'd be interested to
know where you got your information from, there does seem to be some
precedent for this. It opens up a new area of investigation: which
bands recorded sessions that were never broadcast? I can think of at
least three instances, and I'd be grateful if anybody else could add
to this:

1. The Clash abandoned their session midway through the recording,
stating that the BBC's equipment was not up to scratch (Peel adding
that, in his opinion, they were so out of their heads that they
couldn't continue). However, it has been said (I can't remember where)
that they got as far as making the backing tracks. I wonder if these
survive.
2. The Pogues' first session (when they were still known as 'Pogue
Mahone', Irish Gaelic for 'kiss my arse') featured an extra track,
'The Boys From County Hell', which wasn't broadcast apparently as a
result of the prodigious amount of swearing therein (even though I
recall Magazine's 'Permafrost', with the line 'I will drug you and
fuck you on the permafrost', being broadcast unedited years
previously, with Peel adding 'There's a naughty word in this one'
beforehand).
3. Morrissey's first solo session, 'inevitably tentative' as John
said, was not broadcast at the singer's own request.

Best wishes
Steve (so.it.goes.2512)