11 January 1979 (new download: 400 box)

Dr Mango dr_mango2004@...
Fri Oct 24 02:04:32 CEST 2008

Here's another.

This is Thursday 11 January 1979, sadly only the last 45 minutes of the show, but a really enjoyable one. According to Ken's book, this show had repeats of the debut sessions from the Undertones and Scritti Politti. There's no Undertones track on the tape and Peel doesn't mention them in his closing comments, but for now I've gone with the book and put these details on the wiki.

The quality of this tape is much, much better than the horrible whiny ones from November 1978 that I posted this week. I had to spend some not inconsiderable time adjusting the speed of this. The recording was clearly running too fast at the start, but then it slowed during the second half. I ended up having to chop my wav rip in half, correct the respective speeds and then stitch it back together.

The closing track is wonderful; it's one of those old 7" singles that JP used to pull out of the hat now and again. In fact, even though the recording is only 45 mins long, it's a great mix.

File length: 45:38 (112 kbps mono mp3). File size: 36.5 MB
Download: http://sharebee.com/00d4fb28
Wiki page: http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/11_January_1979

Dr M.