1977 Festive 50 (a billion questions (very slight exaggeration))

Steve so_it_goes_2512@...
Wed Oct 22 17:03:15 CEST 2008

Dear Bill

Just to clarify, the show I referred to was one of those very Festive
61 shows, as Ken told me. And I stand corrected about 'You Beat The
Hell Outta Me'...it was a bonus track on the CD reissue, so yes, the 7
inch looks like the likely candidate. However, 'Emergency' was on the
LP, so that makes it eligible and more likely than the session, do you
agree? Finally, if my memory serves me right, 'Dancing The Night Away'
was the same version on the LP and the 12 inch.

Best wishes
Steve [Teenage Kicks]

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, <bill.spiby@...> wrote:

> Dear Steve,
>
> Some good points there.
> I did consider JP's 1983 statement but felt that on balance he
wouldn't be including this year's chart as it wasn't poll based, but I
see the logic of what you're saying alongside his playing best
sessions in a separate show.
> I've obviously missed The Motors self-titled debut and the 12" of
DTNA. Taking these into account and the songs in turn:
> 1. Dancing the Night Away is looking likely to have been the 12" (is
this identical to LP version?) with single (3.13) and session as also rans
> 3. You Beat the Hell Out of Me wasn't on the 77 LP so I would still
say the b-side and then the session
> 18 Emergency would be The Motors LP version and then the session
> 56 Still tempted for about half a second to go for session as it's
called "Bringing in the Morning Light" and then LP version titled
"Bring In the Morning Light", but weight of evidence and logic would
seem to favour flipping that.

> With regard to Jah Woosh, I think it must indeed be a promo of
JSD001 (even though that was released in 78) if you have identified it
cropping up in another 77 show. However, there is no track called
Freedom on Lick Him with the Dustbin. There is a track called 'Chant
Freedom' on his 78 album Religious Dread. could it be a version of this?

> [...]
> > > Had to be single (3.10)
> > >
> > > 10 Frankie Miller – Be Good to Yourself
> > > I'm guessing single and Full House LP version are the same (2.56)
> > > Eligible: Session
> > >
> > > 11 The Sex Pistols – Holidays in the Sun
> > > Single and Never Mind The Bollocks version are identical (3.20)
> > >
> > > 12 The Lurkers – Shadow
> > > Had to be single
> > >
> > > 13 J. Ayes and Ranking Trevor – Truly
> > > These reggae releases are never simple, are they? Think this one
was
> > > originally a 1974 single release but was released as a 12" in 1977.
> > > It would seem likely that the '77 version is what was played
although
> > > technically one could call the '74 version eligible as well. Is the
> > > Disco Mix and the 12" mix one and the same? If not, when was Disco
> > > Mix released?
> > >
> > > 14 Pink Floyd – Pigs
> > > Would seem likely to be Pigs (Three Different Ones) (11.28) from
> > > Animals LP, but any thoughts on eligibility of Pigs on the Wing 1
> > > (1.24) and Pigs on the Wing 2 (1.27) from the same? And if you
accept
> > > those then that also has to be extended to Pigs on the Wing (8
track
> > > version) (3.26)
> > >
> > > 15 Johnny Moped – Incendiary Device
> > > Had to be B side of No One single (2.06)
> > >
> > > 16 Some Chicken – New Religion
> > > Had to be Single (2.17)
> > >
> > > 17 Culture – See Them Come
> > > Tentative guess that it was Two Sevens Clash LP (3.24) version. Is
> > > the Jah Jah See Them A Come single version the same as LP? Other
> > > contenders See Dem A Come 12" (6.56) and See Dem Dub (3.58). Can
> > > anyone confirm whether the last 3 versions were '77 releases?
> > >
> > > 18 The Motors – Emergency
> > > Had to be session
> > >
> > > 19 The Yobs – The Worm Song
> > > Had to be B side of Run Rudolph Run single (The Yobs are
actually The
> > > Boys by the way for those who didn't know (i.e. me))
> > >
> > > 20 The Boys – Box Number
> > > Probably played The Boys LP (2.33) version sometimes titled Box
> > > Number 939
> > > Eligible: Session
> > >
> > > 21 The Stranglers – London Lady
> > > Think B side of (Get A) Grip (On Yourself) single is same as Rattus
> > > Norvegicus LP (2.25). Anyone?
> > >
> > > 22 Sham 69 – I Don't Wanna
> > > Had to be single (1.46)
> > >
> > > 23 The Ramones – Pinhead
> > > Think B side of Swallow My Pride single is same as Leave Home LP
> > > (2.42) version. Anyone?
> > >
> > > 24 Jah Woosh – Freedom Connection
> > > Another funny one because as far as I can tell it wasn't
available at
> > > all until 1978, so JP must have been playing promo 12". Anyone got
> > > any further info on this one?
> > >
> > > 25 Status Quo – Can't Give You More
> > > Had to be from Rockin' All Over the World LP (4.15)
> > >
> > > 26 Jeff Beck with Jan Hammer – Blue Wind
> > > Well it has to be live version on Jeff Beck with the Jan Hammer
Group