1977 Festive 50 (a billion questions (very slight exaggeration))

spib2003 bill.spiby@...
Wed Oct 22 14:51:23 CEST 2008

Dear all,
Buckle up for the second wave of Festive 50 related queries. This
time the subject is 1977's legendary `Forgotten Fifty' which
helpfully consists of 61 tracks! The rules are as follows: I'm trying
to identify the version that was played and thereafter any eligible
version (i.e. released or broadcast up until that date). I'm
excluding boots and TV appearances, although am open to persuasion on
both (3am Eternal anyone?). Obviously 1977 is a funny one as there
was only one `voter'. But working on the assumption that the great
man could have heard (and therefore been influenced to choose by) any
of the versions, I'm treating it the same as other years in terms of
eligibility.

So here goes:
Does anyone know of any existing tapes of the broadcasts, or parts
thereof?
Has anyone access to any documentation/pasBs or even their own
contemporary scribbles?
Do any of our older listeners have any recollections of the versions
played?
But most of all, any insights or best guesses folks?

Here's my list of `informed' guesses. Don't be scared of telling me
I'm wrong - that's why I'm posting them here.

John Peel Festive 50 1977 (Forgotten 50 or 61 to be precise)
1 The Motors - Dancing the Night Away
Probably played single (3.13)
Eligible: Session

2 Althea & Donna – Uptown Top Ranking
I think JP could only have played single, although despite its
megahit status I can't find a pre-early 78 release for it. Anyone
help with details about this one?

3 The Motors – You Beat the Hell Out of Me
Probably B side of Be What You Gotta Be single (2.50)
Eligible: Session

4 The Rezillos – I Can't Stand My Baby
Had to be the single (2.35)

5 John Cooper Clarke – Suspended Sentence
Had to be the single

6 Desperate Bicycles – Smokescreen
Had to be the single (2.03)

7 Merlene Webber – Right Track
Can't find a pre-1978 release for this, so was JP playing it from a
promo copy of MW's On the Right Track LP (2.45)?

8 Neil Young – Like a Hurricane
Probably full length version from American Stars `n' Bars LP (8.14).
This is the version he plays in 1978's chart.
Eligible: Single (5.24)

9 The Clash – Complete Control
Had to be single (3.10)

10 Frankie Miller – Be Good to Yourself
I'm guessing single and Full House LP version are the same (2.56)
Eligible: Session

11 The Sex Pistols – Holidays in the Sun
Single and Never Mind The Bollocks version are identical (3.20)

12 The Lurkers – Shadow
Had to be single

13 J. Ayes and Ranking Trevor – Truly
These reggae releases are never simple, are they? Think this one was
originally a 1974 single release but was released as a 12" in 1977.
It would seem likely that the '77 version is what was played although
technically one could call the '74 version eligible as well. Is the
Disco Mix and the 12" mix one and the same? If not, when was Disco
Mix released?

14 Pink Floyd – Pigs
Would seem likely to be Pigs (Three Different Ones) (11.28) from
Animals LP, but any thoughts on eligibility of Pigs on the Wing 1
(1.24) and Pigs on the Wing 2 (1.27) from the same? And if you accept
those then that also has to be extended to Pigs on the Wing (8 track
version) (3.26)

15 Johnny Moped – Incendiary Device
Had to be B side of No One single (2.06)

16 Some Chicken – New Religion
Had to be Single (2.17)

17 Culture – See Them Come
Tentative guess that it was Two Sevens Clash LP (3.24) version. Is
the Jah Jah See Them A Come single version the same as LP? Other
contenders See Dem A Come 12" (6.56) and See Dem Dub (3.58). Can
anyone confirm whether the last 3 versions were '77 releases?

18 The Motors – Emergency
Had to be session

19 The Yobs – The Worm Song
Had to be B side of Run Rudolph Run single (The Yobs are actually The
Boys by the way for those who didn't know (i.e. me))

20 The Boys – Box Number
Probably played The Boys LP (2.33) version sometimes titled Box
Number 939
Eligible: Session

21 The Stranglers – London Lady
Think B side of (Get A) Grip (On Yourself) single is same as Rattus
Norvegicus LP (2.25). Anyone?

22 Sham 69 – I Don't Wanna
Had to be single (1.46)

23 The Ramones – Pinhead
Think B side of Swallow My Pride single is same as Leave Home LP
(2.42) version. Anyone?

24 Jah Woosh – Freedom Connection
Another funny one because as far as I can tell it wasn't available at
all until 1978, so JP must have been playing promo 12". Anyone got
any further info on this one?

25 Status Quo – Can't Give You More
Had to be from Rockin' All Over the World LP (4.15)

26 Jeff Beck with Jan Hammer – Blue Wind
Well it has to be live version on Jeff Beck with the Jan Hammer Group
Live (5.47) LP but I have various running times for this. Is it case
of later CD releases not fading the original recording session take
as early?

27 The Clash – White Riot
I'm going for the The Clash LP (1.56) version over the single (2.01)
but it's a fairly arbitrary guess. Future 50's are not particularly
helpful as JP seemed to alternate between the two.

28 Iggy Pop – Success
I'm assuming Lust for Life LP version (4.23) and Lust for Life single
B side are the same despite different spelling `Succes'. Anyone?

29 Generation X – Your Generation
Going for the single (3.11)
Eligible: Session

30 King Short Shirt – Nobody Go Run Me
Guessing single is the same as Ghetto Vibes LP (5.00). Anyone?

31 The Lurkers – Love Story
Had to be B side of Shadow single

32 Bob Marley & The Wailers – Waiting in Vain
Think single and Exodus LP version are the same (4.03). Anyone?

33 Dr Feelgood – Paradise
Had to be Sneakin' Suspicion LP version (4.06)

34 Five Hand Reel – Cruel Brother
Well given that it's listed as by Five Hand Reel, then it's got to be
For A' That LP version (5.37). However, Dick Gaughan did release solo
version (earlier the same year I think) on Sandy Bell's Ceilidh LP,
so arguably this is eligible

35 The Saints – I'm Stranded
Think single, split EP and I'm Stranded LP versions are the same
(3.25). Anyone?

36 David Bowie – "Heroes"
Oh! David. What are you doing to me? Going for the "Heroes" LP
version (6.07) as played in '78 rundown
Eligible: Single edit (3.32)
French language single edit "Heros"
German language single edit "Helden"
English/French hybrid full length version
English/German hybrid full length version
Can anyone confirm release date for the last 2 versions?

37 The Users – Sick on You
Had to be single (3.20)

38 X Ray Spex – Oh Bondage Up Yours!
Going for the single (2.45)
Eligible: Live version on Live at the Roxy WC2

39 The Boomtown Rats – Lookin' After Number 1
Think probably played single and that The Boomtown Rats LP version is
the same (3.06). Anyone?
Eligible: Session

40 June Tabor – No Man's Land
Probably played Ashes and Diamond LP version (7.40)
Eligible: Session

41 The Damned – Neat Neat Neat
Think single, New Rose 12" and Damned Damned Damned LP versions are
identical (2.46). Anyone?
Eligible: Session

42 Ry Cooder – The Dark End of the Street
Probably Live version on Show Time (Chicken Skin Revue) (6.43)
Eligible (ish): Boomer's Story LP (3.25) although released in 1972!

43 Suburban Studs – Questions
Had to be single (2.57)

44 Elizabeth Archer & the Equators – Feel Like Making Love
Going for the single
Eligible: B side `Version'
12" was this released in '77 though?

45 Dave Edmunds – I Knew the Bride
Think single and Get It LP version are identical (2.57). Anyone?
Eligible: Session as David Edmund's Rockpile

46 The Jam – Away from the Numbers
Had to be from In the City LP (4.03)

47 Wreckless Eric – (I'd Go the) Whole Wide World
Probably played single
Eligible: Session

48 Roy Buchanan – Green Onions
Probably from Loading Zone LP. Was US Single same version?

49 Generation X – Wild Dub (Version)
Had to be B side of Wild Youth single (3.47). Any thoughts on
eligibility of A side?

50 Snatch – I.R.T.
B side of Stanley single. Was reissued later that year A side (think
it's the same version – can anyone confirm?)

51 The Sex Pistols – Pretty Vacant
Single and Never Mind The Bollocks version are identical (3.15)

52 The Oldham Tinkers – John Willie's Ferret
Had to be from Sit Thee Down LP

53 Peter Tosh – Stepping Razor
Think this had to be from Equal Rights LP (5.45). Anyone help?

54 The Clash – Capital Radio
Had to be from Capital Radio EP (2.09) (i.e. Capital Radio One
version)

55 Elvis Costello and The Attractions – Watching the Detectives
Had to be single (3.43)

56 The Motors – Bringing in the Morning Light
Had to be session

57 Eddie & The Hot Rods – Beginning of the End
Probably played from Life on the Line LP (8.18)
Eligible: Session

58 Devo – Jocko Homo
Had to be B side of Mongoloid single (3.15)

59 The Buzzcocks – Whatever Happened To...?
Had to be B side of Orgasm Addict single (2.08)

60 Little Feat – Rocket in My Pocket
Had to be from LP Time Loves a Hero 3.25

61 The Sex Pistols – God Save the Queen
Single and Never Mind The Bollocks version are identical (3.20)

Look forward to hearing from you all.
Regards
Bill Spiby