Were Mania D of Berlin Peel's "Queens of Noise"/ and if so, in what year?

ken garner ken_garner@...
Sat Oct 4 19:19:57 CEST 2008

I've had a query I can't answer from a writer called Val Phoenix, researching a book on
women in underground music, and is trying to track down when exactly in Peel's shows he
might have played the one and only single by a band from Berlin called Mania D, who were
active 1979-1981 apparently, and in what year and in what medium (the show? an article?
Sounds column?) he allegedly called them his "Queens of Noise" and said the record was his
favourite of the year? Does this ring a bell with anyone? Has the record popped up being
played on any of the 400 Box tapes, for example?

...a quick web search suggests the lineup was Gudrun Gut, Bettina Koester and Beate Bartel,
two of whom had been in the first version of Einsturzende Neubarten, and after Mania D, they
formed a band called Malaria in 1981...