prog

rushomancy rushomancy@...
Sat Oct 4 14:27:09 CEST 2008

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "markonnewsgroups"
<markonnewsgroups@...> wrote:

> > you mean generally? I'm sure there must be some acid house Pink
Floyd
> > remixes somewhere...
>
> There's also Easy Star All-Stars' "Dub Side Of The Moon", which I
> can highly recommend.  It's on Amazon.
>
> Amazon sent me from that to "Rebuild the Wall" by Luther Wright &
The
> Wrongs, which sounds irresistible!  A bluegrass version of "The
Wall"
> - just what it needed, in my admittedly shaky opinion.
>

> Best - Mark.

All right, folks, since there's been discussion of this topic lately,
I guess I will have to come out of hiding and admit to knowing way,
way too much about prog.  First off, regarding Yes remixes, cover
your ears:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yes_Remixes

I can't stand Yes, personally, but even if you are into them, the
word on this is apparently not good.

I know there's some debate on whether or not Can qualify as prog, but
if you're inclined to the "yea" side of that one, there is of course
the fairly spotty 2 CD remix set that came out in the late '90s.

Also from the late 90s are the aforementioned Pink Floyd "Trance
Remixes", released anonymously as bootleg CDs.  It's often claimed
that the remixes are by the Orb, but such claims are pretty dubious
and I'd be surprised if that turned out to be the case.  Quality on
them ranges widely from pretty decent (the Atom Heart Mother and
Meddle remixes) to utterly dire (the Animals remix, which features a
remix of "Dogs" where the opening line of the song is looped for
about half an hour with pretty much nothing else whatsoever done to
the track).

Finally, while not a remix, per se, it is worth noting that Madlib
has a great fondness for prog rock, and has quite a few songs that
sample Gentle Giant.  (Also a huge fan of Gentle Giant, back in the
day: Sherman Helmsley.  No lie.)