Question about track 20 in 1996 and 1997 Festive 50

Alex Romanelli alexrom1@...
Thu Oct 2 08:19:42 CEST 2008

Very interesting! Thanks for clearing this up. A little like when in
both 1991 and 1992 Pavement's "Summer Babe" made the chart, neither
being a session (right fact fans?). Technically 1991 was the 7" and
1992 was the LP, but I could never hear a difference between the two
versions. So I always thought the LP's Winter Version subtitle was
just Pavement being Pavement.

Cheers Mark!

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Whitby" <mark.whitby2@...> wrote:

> Probably a good time for me to introduce myself on this group -
Mark Whitby, Dandelion DJ and author of book on Festive Fifty.
Fluourescences was indeed number 20 in both years.  Neither was a
session version.  The single was released in December 1996 and
charted on the strength of pre-release plays from Peel that year.  It
was then allowed to qualify for the 1997 festive fifty.  I'm not sure
whether it should have, but bear in mind the voting for the 1997
chart was unusual compared with other years as there was only a late
decision to do a festive fifty that year, and votes mostly came in
fewer than usual and mostly by phone.  Peel did, on announcing voting
for the FF, on at least one occasion state that votes for tracks
released the previous December were eligible.  Given his slightly
detached relationship with the chart, it's unlikely he would have
checked the previous year's chart in order to identify anomalies such
as this.

> So, an interesting (to me, anyway) quirk of festive fifty history
rather than an error.

> Mark

I've