1977 Festive 50 'definitive' update

saipanda saipanda@...
Mon Nov 17 20:13:38 CET 2008

Hi Pad,

Absolutely no stepping on toes! In fact, seems to me that sorting out this kind of thing is
where the Wiki is really useful.

When you pointed this out, I looked around on the Google front and came to the
conclusion you were almost certainly right, but I wasn't absolutely sure and thought I
might throw it open.

As I mentioned, it contradicts the BBC site (not perfect in all respects), which has a "Jah
Hayes" entry. In addition, Ken's pdfs of the show have it as "J.Ayes" (as does his book).

Have also seen it as the "Jayes". Just wondered if anyone had a definitive answer.

Think part of the problem may be that assorted records have this artist listed under
different names (judging by online secondhand stores). Certainly seems to be the case that
the Jays were a major Jamaican act who sang "Truly" with Ranking Trevor. I'm good with
the Jays, unless someone comes up with better.

Sorry for cluttering up the list with this. Hope it's a matter of some interest. Think I also
need to sort out some better Wiki communication thing. Will get on it pronto.

Thanks again, Pad. All corrections and contributions to the Wiki most gratefully received!
(Certainly no shortage of mistakes by me.)

Cheers,

Steve W