[peel] Flac files

Eddie Duffy eddie.duffy@...
Mon Nov 17 00:51:11 CET 2008

Alan,

FLAC stands for Free Lossless Audio Codec, and it's the 'lossless'
that's important here. Yes, WAVs will be larger, but (unlike in the case
of MP3) converting a WAV to a FLAC involves no loss of quality. So he
WAV and FLAC files you create from Audacity will be *exactly*
equivalent. A FLAC is effectively like a zipped WAV, but with the
advantage that it can be played directly, without any need for
decompression.

HTH,

Eddie.