[peel] Re: techy. May I borrow your ears?

Roger Carruthers roger.carruthers@...
Mon Mar 24 13:58:16 CET 2008

I beg to differ: there is logic to my argument. The object of the exercise
is to get the best quality sound , for the minimum file size.

 Before I was a sound engineer I studied as a welding inspector, where we
were taught that quality is defined as 'fit for purpose'; don¹t buy a Roller
just to run the kids to school.
 Ogg, like .mp3 uses perceptual encoding. Nobody is pretending that the
signal remains unchanged, but if you use a decent quality encoder at the
right settings, then there is no loss of quality  that you can hear.
 As a sound engineer I was taught to trust my ears. If it sounds right, then
it is right.
 If you can store twice as many files, and you cannot hear the difference,
then you are achieving quality - your recordings are fit for purpose.

This will always be a subjective issue ­ if you can hear the difference,
then go with your ears. But the original poster said:
³I have personally found that by using the dbpoweramp prog with OGG at
350kbs giving the 1:4 that there doesn't appear to be any difference from
the original.²

As for the Betamax analogy, it just doesn¹t work like that in the digital
world; even if it doesn¹t become a major player, Ogg support will never
disappear entirely. It¹s true that no-one makes Betamax machines any more,
but the code for playing Ogg Vorbis files will always be out there.

The purpose of this lboard is for the discussion and appreciation of Peel¹s
craft, and lately it has become a place where people share recordings of his
shows. If we keep the files to a sensible size, whilst keeping an eye on
quality, we can share them so much the more equably.

 It just grieves me to hear, as someone did here recently, that you should
use 24/96 conversion for recording of cassettes, which will do nothing to
improve the quality (think about it ­ the bandwidth & dynamic range are not
there to record!), but the results will take many times longer to download,
and thus reach less people.

 If you have unlimited drive space/attic space and you only intend the files
for your own use, go for it ­ use lossless compression. But if space is an
issue, and you also want to share the wealth, then high bitrate .oggs are
going to hurt no-one, and probably help a few.

Cheers
Roger