techy. May I borrow your ears?

electrophotic brian@...
Sun Mar 23 19:16:37 CET 2008

The thought of my laboriously produced CDRs becoming corrupted
horrifies me.  It seems like all types of storage media are
vulnerable to ageing - recording tape becomes fragile and sticky
after a number of years.

Perhaps the ultimate solution to backing up our valuable music
archives would be to have them transferred to vinyl!

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "thebarguest" <thebarguest@...> wrote:

> I must admit, I thought the recent show offerings from
> Kevin Beech (& Julian) and Andthezmore, coded in 128/44 mp3,
> sounded fine, as good as an FM radio broadcast.
>
> More importantly, I wonder whether some of my dvdrs will get
> corrupted in the same way some of my 4-year-old cdrs have....
> Maybe the dye starts to "leak" in time ; how could the scientists
> simulate ageing when developing a recording medium ?
> Don't throw away your original tapes !
>

> --- In peel@yahoogroups.com, Riving Ton <deedeeramain@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Adam!
> >
> > We had a similar thread about compression a short while ago and I
> think we decided that FLAC was the ultimate compression format as
it
> was lossless.
> >
> > Personally - I use .ogg but I realise that it is getting kind of
> redundant because nobody else finds it convenient plus - I use
> dbpoweramp also and some of my ripped CDs don't sound right - the
> bass on some of my files is muffled and really poor quality.
> >
> > Finally, memory is getting cheaper and cheaper so compression is
> becoming less necessary as time goes by. I can see a short time
ahead
> in future that I'll want to just copy my CDs directly to a storage
> medium without any compression.
> >
> > I normally buy hard drives in twos - one is a backup of the
other.
> Hard drives fail and new hard drives are no exception so I'd be
> gutted if I spent lots of time ripping my CDs to hard drive to have
> the hard drive fail after a couple of months. (This happened to me
> with a 120GB pocket drive. The clicking noise signalled a failed
disk
> that would cost around a grand if I wanted to recover my data!).
> > Don't forget that DVDs are not indestructible also!
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > DeeDee

OGG