At last a decent (original) Peel tribute album!!!

Marcelle mar.celle@...
Fri Mar 14 12:54:28 CET 2008

PERFECT UNPOP
peel show hits & long-lost lo-fi favourites - vol 1 1976-80

Released: 14th April 2008

PERFECT UNPOP is based on a dangerous assumption: that if you were ever
touched by John Peel's enthusiasm for spiky '70s pop, then by now you've
probably found yourself a copy of the Undertones' 'Teenage Kicks'. The
same applies to raw, beautiful singles by the Buzzcocks, Joy Division,
the Clash and the first five Fall albums - none of which are included
here.

Instead, here's a collection of Peel favourites a little less likely to
be anthologised, eulogised, or to crop up on your iPod.

Anyone who ever cuddled up alone at night with Peel will recognise the
glee with which he pounced on these devil-may-care, slightly broken pop
songs. Indie also-rans these bands may have been in the Sting 'n' Bono
scheme of things, but add up all these flashes of underdog genius, and
here's a CD to rival any other from the era of the questionable stringy
tie.

Although we're missing the voice that always seemed to be speaking to us
alone, I hope the unearthing of these Nuggets from the playlists might
recreate something of the atmosphere of the Peel Show for his
under-cover legions, and hopefully some young Johnny-cum-Latelies as
well. Make no mistake, we're talking all-time highlights here - where
six seconds of dead air would be followed by a sheepish, slightly
breathless admission that Peel had been off 'bopping' around the studio.
Most of all, I hope he would've approved. Derek Hammond

TRACK LISTING

1.       TOURS Language School
2.       VIBRATORS Whips and Furs
3.       SUBWAY SECT Ambition
4.       YOUNG MARBLE GIANTS Final Day
5.       KLEENEX Hedi's Head
6.       THE BEARS On Me
7.       WRECKLESS ERIC Whole Wide World
8.       SWELL MAPS Real Shocks
9.       THE OUT Who Is Innocent
10.   EATER Thinking Of The USA
11.   DISCO ZOMBIES Mary Millington
12.   MO-DETTES White Mice
13.   THE OUTCASTS Self-Conscious Over You
14.   THE WASPS Teenage Treats
15.   THE 45S Couldn't Believe A Word
16.   GLAXO BABIES This Is Your Life
17.   THE PREFECTS Going Through The Motions
18.   CARPETTES Radio Wunderbar
19.   THE TIGHTS Bad Hearts
20.   THE MONOCHROME SET He's Frank (Slight Return)
21.   AU PAIRS It's Obvious
22.   SINATRAS Happy Feeling
23.   THE BOYS Brickfield Nights
24.   BLUE ORCHIDS The Flood