John Peels tracklistings ??

ken garner ken_garner@...
Mon Mar 3 11:37:19 CET 2008

All suggestions so far very useful and correct for our colleague:
Let's hear the show as a digital file, please! Because, yes, given
the shows index in my book, it should now be possible to date almost
any Peel show based on a complete (or even one-third complete) tape,
as long as it has a session in it. Ones without sessions might be
trickier!

Do the running orders survive? To sum up info which is referred to in
tiny print in the intro to the back half of my book (for the benefit
of those who do not have it yet - and by the way, sales have tailed
off so feel free to get shopping!)...

- Almost every running order of every Peel show up to about 1996
survives on microfilms of the original typed scripts or PasBs
(Programme as Broadcast) held at BBC Written Archives, Caversham
(near Reading). One or two are missing, a few more are fragmentary or
damaged. But most are fine. Anyone can request a booking to spend
time on a given day (they tell you the dates you can have in their
reading room) reading them, although this is most commonly done by
academics and historians.

- After 1996 things get complicated. Radio 1 switched to just doing
digital copyright music reports, on their own Romeo computer. Some of
these are in there , some not, but they are generally not accessible
to anyone outside Radio 1. There is no agreed system for such digital
files to be 'archived' to Written Archives! Louise Kattenhorn, Peel's
last producer, did arrange for those scripts she had from her years
01-04 to go on the R1 website as noted.

- However, both Alison Howe (Peel producer 95-98) and Anita Kamath
(Peel producer 98-01) continued to produce their own PasBs for
production purposes. These hard copies' location or survival is a
mystery. Anita gave them, 2 or 3 boxes of A4 paper effectively, to
Phil Lawton, before his job as R1 archivist was abolished in 2001.
Before he left the BBC, Phil transferred them at Maida Vale to Roger
Olive, of Digital Archives Preservations. He then sent them off with
loads of other stuff to BBC Written Archives sometime around the time
of John's death (2004? 2005?). Jeff Walden at Written Archives (very
helpful bloke) has so far (last time we spoke in November) not
managed to locate them, but says they might be in truck loads of
stuff they've been sent in recent years by various BBC production
departments, but simply have not had time to find out what's in the
boxes and catalogue it! So there you go. I think I'll ask him again
now it's on my mind...

ken