Meteors first Peel Session / poor digital quality

thebarguest thebarguest@...
Thu Jun 5 22:18:17 CEST 2008

I agree Ali. The quality of digital/internet radio is poor.
160kbps ? Sounds more like 64 to me and there's a tinny/metallic
feel, a bit like the old medium-wave/AM. Some Peel shows from
2002/03/04 doing the rounds sound like that, sadly ; if only they'd
been taped from analogue FM on a 1978 music-centre !

I think I read a few years ago that analogue FM (old Peel shows)
was/is equivalent to 192/44 - makes sense to these 46 years-old ears.

Old, well-recorded FM tapes (like the recent ones offered here by
Kevin, Julian and others) encoded at 128/44 sound fine to these ears,
as good as the original tape. Anything less than 128/44 and you're
detracting from the original tape I think. I personally have
converted tapes to 192/44 and 320/44 (special items) - just to be
on the safe side ...............

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "Alasdair Macdonald"
<wewalkforonereason@...> wrote:

> 2008/6/5 Martin Wheatley <martinw@...>:
> > At 01:13 05/06/2008, you wrote:
> >
> >>Four of the five tracks were broadcast on Brain Surgery on Radio 6
> >>last week. I grabbed them
> >>from "listen again", but the quality is not great (65kbps stream -
>
> >>128kbps mp3). However,
> >>if no-one has a better quality (and complete) version, I'd be
happy to post.

> >>Pad
> >
> > I've got an original recording which also misses one of the 5
tracks
> > Fortunately not the same one as the one Marc Riley didn't play
> > I have therefore been able to assemble a file with all 5
> > I'll put it up at the weekend  (it's getting crowded up there so
I've