[peel] Peel Tapes

rockerq@... rockerq@...
Thu Jul 31 23:27:27 CEST 2008

OK I feel the need to get things moving! I am at present going through the
box and putting the cassettes into date order - this is complicated by some
tapes being unmarked, some marked with more than one date, and some with
conflicting dates on the tape and the inlay card! I'll have to listen to quite a few of
them to check.

Once I have them in some sort of order I will start putting them onto a
simple excel spreadsheet - I assume that the data in this form will be fairly easy
to convert to whatever we may decide to use as a cataloguing system long-term.
Much as I dislike Microsoft I know roughly how to use Excel, and the files
will be compatible with most folks' setups, PC, Mac or Linux!

I reckon in a week I may be at the point where I can start mailing tapes out.
I agree that special delivery will be best method of posting, and since
no-one has objected I'll enclose the return postage in the packages.

Agree that it will be a good idea for each ripper to enclose a copy of the
FLACs on CDr or USB stick when they return the cassettes to me. Backup of a
backup, and all that!

OK so for people who want to contribute to the postage fund -   this will
include those who wanted to contribute their 20 quids to buying the tapes but
were too late, or didn't have PayPal - you can send money via PayPal - my PayPal
address is:

rockerq@...

Make sure you mention what the payment is for as this is quite a busy
account! Also let me have your name (real or on list!) and email address.

Alternatively you can send me carefully hidden cash (UK Sterling, Euros or US
dollars) (notes only!), or cheques payable to S. Wood - to:

S. Wood (Peel tapes)
17 Ormond Terrace
Regent Street
Cheltenham
GL50 1HR
UK

Again remember to say what it's for and who it's from!

Rippers:

OK - You will need the equipment and ability to convert the cassette audio to
a lossless digital format eg WAV; AIFF; FLAC - Ideally you will also need to
be able to apply eq and maybe noise reduction, and normalize the levels, and
then create a master FLAC for archiving.

Optionally you may want to create smaller files too, probably on mp3, for
internet distribution. I imagine some rippers will also be able to distribute
files themselves, via Rapidshare etc.

Please email me (rockerq@...) with your UK mailing address, your real
name and your Peel List name - before I send out tapes next week I will mail a
list of rippers to the peel group (will only include your name and which area of
the UK you are in) so we all know who is involved. (So far have heard from
Roger Carruthers in South Wales).

Cheers!

Rocker