[peel] I spend two weeks in the hot spa tubs of Budapest and...

Roger Carruthers roger.carruthers@...
Tue Jul 29 22:32:13 CEST 2008

I thoroughly second the file naming convention, if only for the reasons I¹ve
brought up here before.
I started trying to make sense of my collection of downloaded recordings
recently, and it¹s a nightmare working out what¹s what! I also tried
building a Peel tapes database for an SQL assignment at college not so long
ago, and even just populating it with a handful of tapes, I was cursing
whoever had named the damn things ;-)
 Just to throw another idea into the mix, it occurred to me that a server
running something like Dot Tunes (see http://www.dottunes.net/ ) might be a
nice idea for our accumulated wealth of recordings. We¹ve been running a
sound effects server using Dot Tunes on an old G4 where I work for a year or
so and it¹s been rock solid. The great thing about this approach is that you
can just listen to stuff even if you don¹t want to actually download it, or
audition before you download, and you can control access to the server by IP
address, and/or password etc. We¹re actually running an older version,
before they adopted the rather convoluted plug-in model, but it¹s had quite
heavy use was pretty much a no-brainer to set up. Just a thought, anyway...
Cheers
Roger