1977 Listeners Top Ten choices

ken garner ken_garner@...
Tue Jul 29 01:52:33 CEST 2008

John - I cannot download and check this out until I get back to
Glasgow at the weekend, but I wonder is this maybe one of
those 'Listener's favourite records of the first ten years of the
show' shows, we communicated about off-list back in March 07?  If it
is, my record of our email trail and our comparing of notes then
suggests that these were possibly in fact the shows of the week of
Mon 3/10/77 - Fri 5/10/77, and not TX in September (see Shows index
in book, p. 218). Or maybe I've got muddled up again? I should have
the PasB scripts for those shows somewhere, but give me a couple of
weeks to dig them out...

ken

ps. I have only just discovered this interesting new (I think)
promotional site from BBC Archives, which includes nice little video
interview features with (among others) Simon Rooks (engineer), and
most interestingly for this list, Julia Weaver (Roger Olive's boss at
Preservations, Maida Vale), which include fleeting video shots of
MV4, some R1 reel and DAT tape shelving, and some exciting Maida Vale
corridors...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/preserving_sound.shtml

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, John Bravin <john.bravin@...> wrote:

> One more ripped C90. This one is from September 1977 and features
> Listeners Top Ten choices.  Of varying quality, and edited
musically,
> but with most Peel links intact. Some punk, and some less than
obvious
> geriatric rock ( Kevin Coyne's House on the Hill and Family's My
friend
> the sun). And the wonderfully evocative Willin' by Little Feat
(Weed,
> whites and wine) . For those of you more familiar with Peel's love
of
> post 1977 music, believe me he was just as enthused about some pre-
1977
> stuff.
>
> Ten_Years_Of_Peel_-_Listeners_Choices_1977_Part1

<http://rapidshare.cohttp://rapidshare.com/files/133158226/Ten_Years_O
f_Peel_-_Listeners_Choices_1977_Part1.mp3>

> Ten_Years_Of_Peel_-_Listeners_Choices_1977_Part2
> <http://rapidshare.com/files/133158228/Ten_Years_Of_Peel_-
_Listeners_Choices_1977_Part2.mp3>

> More to follow
>
> John
>
> John Bravin wrote:
> >
> > But what I do have is 4 C90 sides of the 1977 Listeners Top Ten
> > choices (broadcast in September so not the 1977 Festive Fifty).
These
> > were compiled by listeners but with each track introduced by
Peel. I
> > would dearly like to know what happened to the lucky listeners -
I bet