I spend two weeks in the hot spa tubs of Budapest and...

ken garner ken_garner@...
Mon Jul 28 00:48:29 CEST 2008

...just got back to uk from holiday and have now caught up on all the
astonishing correspondence here via my aged dad's PC. First of all,
yes, the seller of the tapes had evidently tried to email me but this
was after I left the country, sorry. But it all worked out ok, thanks
to dee dee, rocker and everyone. And despite pledging my twenty quid
in advance, I also appear to have missed the cough-up period, sorry.
I agree with Mark, these are probably low-Q FM recordings rather than
AM, as Martin says, yes, from October 71 all Peel's late evening
shows (excluding the first 9 months of 75, the BBC '3-day week'
period) were on the Radio 2 FM frequency as well as R1 AM, until R1
FM for almost 24 hrs launched in Oct 88 anyway. Some friends gave me
their prized shoeboxes of Peel show tapes (about 30 tapes in all,
mostly 79-81, I think) when I was doing In Session Tonight, taped on
a stereo system, but time and decay made them v muffled, although
they can be listened to just about (actually I wonder if I still have
those somewhere...?). AM recordings at 10pm-midnight would be v
crackly, possibly. Like others, I am happy to hear shows in any
quality short of unlistenable, and not just for what Peel says, but
for the totality of the experience, and simply to know they survive.

I am sure it has occurred to others that those doing the digitising
not only need to agree on a digital file format standard (which
appears to have been done
already!), but also a cataloguing system and application. Whoever is
doing the divvying out needs to give each tape a clear number before
the digitising gets under way. Then there are the agreed fields of
data required for each tape (date, duration, featured items, running
order?,
notes, edits, etc.. to be discussed), and the application: You could
use a database, if there is one that everyone is likely to have which
is simple, or (don't snigger), excel is pretty universal, I did both
books' sessionography in it and my big bro does mutliple data daily
for an international engineering company with excel files containing
thousands and thousands of entries or rows, all relating to each
other, so it can do almost anything we'd want, as long as we agreed
on the fields or columns, surely? I think you would need two
spreadsheets that talked to each other: one with a single row of
agreed main data for each every TAPE/ SHOW; then one which was an
individual
sheet for each TAPE / SHOW with the full track listing and any notes,
even maybe a field for transcribing Peel's links... Just a thought...

On the continuing issue of some kind of eventual Peel Archive online,
I too have been mulling this over. I think for the time being let's
just share the stuff and document what is out there and is emerging.
Eventually, though, I suspect something might be possible. A friend
of mine, a professor at a with-it institution, has been advising the
BBC on its digital strategy and claims their new objective is to
liase with and facilitate other social networks, and not try to do it
all themselves. However, in that context the (incomplete, out of date
and frequently bonkers) 'official' peel pages occasionally accessible
via Radio 1's website are a peculiar exception! And so would be the
rumour I have heard from inside sources recently that BBC Worldwide
is working on a project to create a website where people can listen
to and purchase for download BBC session tracks (not just Peel's,
please note!), both current and from the archive. But there is a
world of difference between doing this for discrete, identifiable
copyright tracks by named artists, and complete show recordings of
variable quality: even if that rumour is true, I doubt they would
even contemplate the enormity of the task of making complete shows
available in this manner. But for someone else to stream a rotating
sequence of archive shows might be possible even under existing
copyright legislation, if the BBC chose to recognise the credibility
of the organisation doing it (it sells TV shows for repeats by any TV
channel in the world, so why not...?). If we were to demonstrate our
capacity to do this by how we deal with these new tapes, for example,
that might go some way to helping. Any such official website /
archive / association project would of course need the BBC, Radio 1,
Sheila's and the Selwoods' consent. But if we got the last two, or
even three, of those, then the institional support from the top of
the organisation might just fall into line, eventually. I can
envisage some form of
trust /association being recognised by these stakeholders. Such a
site
could then be much more than that and grow data organically, with
eventually a data entry for every show, which would indicate if it is
known to exist in any of the public or private archives we can
identify (and thereby request and identify those that are missing
from any visitors to the site).

I feel, however, as I say, that's all some way off in the future. The
first step towards any such formal recognition or credibility of this
group as the official custodians of the Peel legacy/archive -
(alongside how we deal with the tapes!) - might be perhaps some form
of face to face meeting, a Peel Listeners' Convention, which could
seek, among other fun things (gigs, guests, debates, etc), to
finalise and ratify a draft constitution or terms-of-reference
articulating the association's aims, membership, and so on, which
could be circulated in draft electronically in advance. Sounds
dreary, i know, but if we were to decide to be truly serious about
this (including maybe seeking national lottery funding - I am not
joking, there have been other digital musical archiving projects that
have won cash from this source!), we'd need to do that kind of
thing...

ken