[peel] Re: A Peel Repository / Permanent Archive

Martin Wheatley martinw@...
Mon Jul 21 00:27:26 CEST 2008

At 18:07 20/07/2008, you wrote:

> >>I was just thinking of the people on slower
> connections, for whom that’s a shitload of
> downloading time if they’re only available as .flacs.<<
>
>Is anybody really still on dial-up these days?
>
>Just curious...
>
>Mark

Not many but on the other hand the days of unlimited downloads for
the private user are gone.   Most of us are on plans with
not especially generous download allowances
Also there are some ISPs who block torrents.  FTP access is
more old fashioned but may be accessible to more

My experience on another list where I have put up some files
in mp3 which previously had been in flac is that the mp3 versions
got many more downloads.  The silent majority are not audiophiles!

Obviously your archive should be in flac because other formats
can be created from that.   The ideal thing would be to have a server
with flac files and then add mp3 files to each one so people have a
convenient choice but I realise that is going to take a lot of time
and work