John Peel tapes on Ebay - SECURED!!!

Stuart Mchugh stuart@...
Sat Jul 19 18:42:53 CEST 2008

> Let's hope the high price paid may flush out a few more people
> sitting on
> boxes of old tapes too!

well done all on securing the tapes. I was wondering - with copyright
law and the like as well as bandwidth costs etc - if the idea of a
streaming radio station playing Peel shows might be a possibility? (I
am going to make a few enquiries in case anyone is up for hosting
such a thing, but I suspect that legalities might get in the way even
before costs do!)

While I'm making a rare de-lurk, I also wondered if among the group
there were any of the original 15 or so who were part of the Peel
tape chain in the late 90s? I actually found out that there was more
than one of these operating independently, but this was the one where
the tapes originated from, er, me, and found their way to Seattle by
nefarious means before working their way around the US. A few of the
guys on that chain did make copies of everything, I know, but the
originals I always suspected were usually lost, the chances of a
package surviving 15 such hops being pretty slim. Anyway, it was when
Adobe wound up its UK operation that the tape supply from myself
dried up and I lost touch with most of the recipients. Though the
Butthole Surfers are in Glasgow tomorrow night and if I see their
drummer King I'll be sure and find out if he has any copies left in
his collection!

Stuart