Festive 50 1978

billfromnorthwales billfromnorthwales@...
Fri Jul 18 23:22:40 CEST 2008

This may be a "holy grail", at least until the ebay tapes are sorted.

It is part 1 of the FF 1978.

This is the full 2 hour show broadcast 26 December 1978

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5AATNNJT

I have all the other parts, and they will follow when I have finished
mastering them.

Do we have access to a server where I can upload the Flac files? (and
maybe download some!)

I don't really like these file store sites as I think it encourages
low bit rate mp3's . (e.g This one is 192kbs)

I remember recording this and alo the 76 FF(now sadly gone)and I am
absolutely certain there was no 77 show, of any kind, so I don't know
how that FF list for 77 was put together.

Anyway, back to the 78 show: Most of part 1 is a recap of the 76
chart, and at almost every link there is a reference to the musical
revolution that had just taken place with punk, contrasting the
charts of 76 with 78.

Captured on a Nakamichi (speed and azimuth corrected) to 24bit/96khz.

The work then involves patching the joins (after 45 and 90 mins, as
you might expect on a C90, and making each section sound OK.

No mean feat on Cheapo cassettes (could not afford TDK back then)
shedding oxide and having been unplayed for at least 25 years, often
requiring much care to digitise well.

I suppose you could just take the voiceovers and replace the music
with clean new versions, but for me it is about capturing a moment in
time, exactly as broadcast, and often scratches warps and needle
jumps happened, and are referred to, and your ears can get used to
the lower fi recording, which then jumps out at you when a sparkly
newer version is introduced (I had to do it for a patch - I tried to
match the sound to match - see what you think)

Anyway I have several high end cassettes(5 Naks!) to play back
material, and much professional audio capture gear, plus some skill
at mastering, and a purist agenda to maintain total authenticity, so
please let me digitise some of the ebay shows now they have been won.

If I am not invited, then please have some strict quality control on
who does it, and how.

I suggest the missionof this group should be to find, preserve, and
distribute in the highest possible quality, recordings featuring JP"

Mp3's have their uses (iPods etc), but not to preserve recordings,
which should be 24/96khz masters, saved to 16/44.1khz flac for
lossless distribution, downgraded to mp3 for users personal devices,
if they want it.

Cheers

Bill from North Wales