[peel] Re: John Peel tapes on Ebay

Riving Ton deedeeramain@...
Sun Jul 13 11:59:13 CEST 2008

Hi Mark!
I think we are going to go the auction route.
A plea to everyone else that is interested in this development also - don't bid on the lot will you?
I can imagine that some good natured folk might think they are helping out by setting up a big bid but we may end up needlessly driving up the price to silly money if we start bidding against each other!
Cheers,
DeeDee

----- Original Message ----
From: "markbursa@..." <markbursa@...>
To: peel@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, July 13, 2008 2:35:10 AM
Subject: Re: [peel] Re: John Peel tapes on Ebay

Ken,

I'd offer him £600 straight up to his charity in return for ending the auction now - and if any other bidder moans simply say an exceptional charity donation was offered. We've enough pledges to cover that at £20 a head, plus one or two folks who'd make up any shortfall.

I think he'd bite - he clearly wants to do the deal.

Cheers

Mark

>>We have only just recieved your messages.
Most tapes that I tested were perfectly audible but some have not been played back since
recorded.
As you can see from the advert we have already selected a charity based on the premise
that this is a recognised BBC charity and therefore the sale of the tapes would not
constitute an offence. It seems as though it would be most appropriate for the tapes to be
with the John Peel Group but we are loathed to end the auction early based on previous
experioence of irate potential bidders. What do you suggest.
Regards
Railway rocks. "

I think it might be best if I reply saying ok, fair do's, you carry on the auction as normal,
one of us will just watch the bidding, join in, and try to hope we get the collection, all the
best.

what do folks think?

as someone said, he's doing the decent thing but the wants to make some cash for the
charity, fair enough...<<