this just sent to railway rocks

ken garner ken_garner@...
Sat Jul 12 20:02:10 CEST 2008

this is what I have said to the seller... and now I really am going on holiday. Let me know if
we get lucky...

"Dear Railway rocks

That's ok, fair enough. Stick to the planned auction and one of the john peel group will just
try and put in a bid to get the lot! My mention of John's favourite charities was just a
thought, that's all. I am not sure that making a donation to a BBC charity actually gets you off
the copyright hook, but it certainly makes it even harder for anyone -especially the BBC - to
get snotty about it (it's really the record companies who are the zealots on this score, and
PRS, but they both have rather bigger fish to fry right now, than old Peel listeners swapping
old tapes, frankly!). I f you've read my book, you'll know that the bbc is quite happy to get
tapes of stuff it's missing, but does not really have the manpower or time to search tehm out
or store them. Instead, we've found it's up to networks like ours to identify a show , or
session, that we think from our knowledge may be missing, then I talk to the archivists, and
we arrange a digital donation. If we're lucky in your auction, I 'd imagine that's what we'll
evetually do. Anyway, here's hoping we get lucky in your auction, cheers,

ken garner"