peel tapes and paypal

ken garner ken_garner@...
Fri Jul 11 00:46:38 CEST 2008

ok, folks, back after a very long day at work failing students (only joking) and trying to
clear the decks before holiday from Sunday, let me sum up where we are. What a
wonderful day of activity to come home to online...

1. we all pay dee dee £21 via paypal that he will set up and tell us what to do. We can sort
it all out later

2. I email the seller, introducing myself and saying i have been asked to represent the
largest peel listener group community on the web, which was instrumental in assisting
with my book etc blah blah (yes it was nice to get Paul 's belated review in Mojo. I also got
a good one last month on pop matters website in US, i think).

3. Our proposal is to offer to buy the tapes for a decent price - via one of our number
named dee dee who will also introduce himself to you - and make the donation to his
preferred website - or perhaps jointly to that and John's favourite charities (Salvation Army
and Amnesty INternational).

4. We would collectively over the next 12 months catalogue, digitise, and review the tapes'
contents, and once this process is complete, present the catalogue and whatever the
collection contains that is missing from the Radio 1 official archive (whether complete or
near complete shows or individual sessions / session tracks) to the radio 1 archivist
Hannah Brana Martin in digital form, whom I am in regular contact with. I also know Sheila
and the family well and will offer them the original tapes at the end of the process,
although I suspect sheila will say she has quite enough cassettes in the house already,
thank you very much.

5. we respectfully suggest that if the seller is intereted in preserving decently John's
legacy, we are the people to sell to

After I've done that I will have to back out of the selling and collecting etc because I am off
abroad for the Scottish academic's summer break and have no intention whatsoever of
looking at email for at least a month. After I spent half of last year's holiday in Switzerland
sitting in an internet cafe on the shores of lake geneva tapping out the last 2 chapters
against the clock while my wife and daughter frolicked in the pool, Magda will accept
nothing less!

cheers

ken

PS. check out our new course, my (additional) day job is now running this, having written
it:

http://www.caledonian.ac.uk/cbs/postgraduate/mamj/index.html