Holy Grail

thebarguest thebarguest@...
Sun Jul 6 19:56:24 CEST 2008

Stuart Maconie said recently in his "Radio Times" collumn that
there really wasn't much musical difference between the
Pistols "Never Mind The B*" album, and Judas Priest's offerings from
the same period. Lyrically, of course, they were very different -
nihilistic social realism/negativism versus goblins and medieval
wars !

A lot of people in the late 70's had mixed taste. Among my own
friends,AC/DC and Motorhead were enjoyed alongside Pistols, Ultravox,
Magazine, Buzzcocks... A huge Yes fan got into Killing Joke and Joy
Division.
The different genres were not mutually exclusive but there was blind
prejudice from a minority of extremists on both sides.

Actually, very early Def Leppard (1979/80), when they were nwobhm and
not USA-FM-candy-rock, was exciting, fast, hard rock.

Just been listening to the famous NME C81 tape in the kitchen - it was
weird, I kept expecting Peely's voice between the songs !

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "dunelm61" <dunelm@...> wrote:

> Def Leppard? Iron Maiden? Samson? Witchfynde?
>
> --- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "thebarguest" <thebarguest@> wrote:
> >
> > It's strange to hear Pink Floyd juxtaposed next to punky songs !
> > 1979 was the last year that happened, maybe because the BBC bosses
> > decided to implement a policy of musical "apartheid"/segregation.
> > From then on (actually from 77-78), Peel would be JUST new-wave
and
NO