Festive Fifty help

bbrbr57 jpdl@...
Wed Jan 30 13:35:09 CET 2008

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "andthezmore" <andthezmore@...> wrote:

> > There are a couple of news bulletins at the end of some of the
>
> ??? I always thought it was interesteing to hear the news 'of
> the day' as well as the music, so I've always left it in.

I prefer them with news too, but in this case some of them are quite
long (Radio 2 after midnight).

Also, the timesignal in these recordings can be very useful for
adjusting an incorrect recording speed, if you zoom in on a
timesignal with audacity you can figure out the adjustment that you
need to change it back to the original speed.  The time difference
between the beebs should be exactly one second.

Another tip for fixing an incorrect recording speed: if you encode
with "lame" you can specify a different sample rate.  You only have
to make sure it doesn't read the .wav header, you can do this with
the -r option, then you can use the -s option to specify a different
sample rate, the -x option may also be necessary for a correct byte
order.

So for example:

  lame -x -s 41.5 -r recording.wav recording.mp3

slows down the speed with about 6%, this is what I used for the 70's
and 80's shows posted by Andrew.

BTW, if anyone is interested in a copy of these shows with adjusted
speed, here is a torrent for the ones that I managed to download:

http://home.wanadoo.nl/jpdl/Julian_tapes.torrent

I think I got most of them, but I wasn't able to download "810407
Peel Programme 7th April 1981 Sessions from B-Movies & Positive
Noise".

B.