Festive Fifty Holy Grails

electrophotic brian@...
Fri Jan 25 21:12:01 CET 2008

1986 Festive Fifty:  Number 18 was 'This Boy Can Wait' by Wedding
Present, but Peel played 'You Should Always Keep in Touch with Your
Friends' (Peel had played this earlier, as it was at number 28).
Peel didn't realize his error.  Am I the only listener to have
noticed this? (I've got it on tape).

1988 Festive Fifty:  Number 45 was 'Bone Machine' by The Pixies, but
Peel played the first minute or so of 'Where is my Mind' before
realising his error.

1989 Festive Fifty:  Number 36 was 'Wave of Mutilation' by The
Pixies, but Peel played 'I Bleed' for a minute or so, then
said " ..well there you are, you see, I was saying that something
terrible was going to happen this year and it's just happened because
I've played you the wrong track.. err... and that's the first time..
I said, I said that I was always nervous about doing the Festive
Fifty 'cause I knew that one of these years something appalling was
going to happen.  This is the first time it's happened 'cause as I
say I played you the wrong one...(cue 'Wave of Mutilation').  Later
in the programme a listener phoned in to remind Peel that this wasn't
the first time..

Just more of life's surface noise.

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "vinpinman" <vinpinman@...> wrote:

> Black Math by the White Stripes in 2003 - played half of Seven
nation
> army before realising.
>
> --- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <so_it_goes_2512@> wrote:
> >

> > Thanks indeed: listening to this suggests a thread hitherto
> unexplored,
> > I believe.
> >
> > Peel says, when playing the wrong side of the PJ Harvey, that he
> cannot
> > remember making any mistakes like that in any of the Festive
> Fifties.
> > But I can:
> >
> >     * In 1988, playing the wrong Pixies track and not noticing
> until the
> > song was over.
> >     * In 1996, playing Force And Styles' Fireworks at the wrong
> speed.
> >     * In 2000, misplacing Ballboy's I Hate Scotland  and having
> play
> > the session version.
> >
> > Any others anyone can contribute?
> >

> > Yahoogroups.com, "thebarguest" <thebarguest@> wrote: