[peel] Re: Festive Fifty Holy Grails

RobF robfleay@...
Thu Jan 24 17:41:03 CET 2008

> Any others anyone can contribute?

Hmm - well I know there was a strong contingent of Fall fans who thought that the 2004 posthumous F50 with Sparta FC at #1 was a case of mistaken identity.

Sparta had been been #2 in the previous year's F50, having been first broadcast as part of the Feb 2003 Peel Session and then officially released on "The Real New Fall LP" in October 2003.

Although it then came out as a single in 2004, a lot of Fall fans couldn't believe it was voted so highly again the following year particular as the track "Blindness" which was performed in the 2004 Peel Session had been singled out for high praise amonst the Fall cognoscenti and plenty of people admitted voting for it as their #1. Yet it didn't make an appearance in the 50 (nor did any other Fall track)

Could be a load of conspiracy theory nutters, but I guess that the winter of 2004 was a weord time for those left in charge of the F50..