Andy Kershaw Shows back online

Tom Roche troche@...
Tue Jan 22 05:36:08 CET 2008

At 8:38 AM +0000 1/21/08, peel@yahoogroups.com wrote:
>2b. Re: Andy Kershaw Shows back online
>     Posted by: "RobF" robfleay@... robfleay70
>     Date: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:08 pm ((PST))
>
>Speaking of Kershaw - there was a sympathetic article in the Mail On
>Sunday today (saw it at my parents house before anyone asks!)
>featuring an interview with his sister and his girlfriend.

The Mail On Sunday Kershaw article is long, whoo it is long. It is
likely the Least Edited Article  In The History Of Weekend Papers so
set aside an hour and read the whole stinkin' (and cliche-ridden)
saga.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/femail/article.html?in_article_id=509231&in_page_id=1879

"His life is a Greek tragedy" now, ya know. Oh, and "he is the
architect of his own downfall."

The article is oddly and uncomfortably fawning. His GF and sister
feel that, hey, since no body died he shouldn't be in jail. It is
completely understandable they would stick up for him.  He is a fine
DJ yes, but apparently an abusive alcoholic with a mean streak.

Peel once told me - when Kershaw's name had come up in passing - "The
man has *such* a temper. His 2 personalities are a world apart." And
just a few years later I'd finally meet Kershaw - at Peel's wake.
Obviously a somber post-funeral gathering, in an old barn in the
country, at twilight, certainly no rebellious spirit in the air. But
after awhile I noticed a faint smell of pot fighting the faint smell
of manure... and I followed my nose to the barn's doorway, and it was
Kershaw and a BBC sessions engineer sharing a joint. I joined the
circle, introduced myself, Tom from Atlanta bla bla. My small talk
was forced and so was his. I wish now I could report some insight,
but I can't. No one was themselves that day, no one said much, no one
was in a good mood.

The ganja was cut with tobacco. I about gagged. You Brits....