[OT] [Altrok] Update #189: Support Your Local Web Radio Station!

hubcity@... hubcity@...
Mon Jan 21 13:20:16 CET 2008

Folks,

Firstly, the important stuff:

Altrok Radio is at http://www.altrokradio.com

Please remember to tune in whenever you can - every hour you listen turns into more visibility for the station; we show up higher in search listings, and such like that.  And if you'd like to help us keep the stream running, check out the advertisers if they appeal to you; your interest actually helps fund us.

So then, in another stunning attempt to illustrate what's so great about Altrok Radio, let's sidestep our tendency to play a lot of the music that's currently defining the jagged edge of underground pop culture, and focus on our classics.

Our classics are the songs that signify thirty years of rock innovation.  Starting with those who rebelled against the bloated, self-important stasis of the rock scene in the seventies, continuing with the artists who stood against empty pop in the eighties, and who clued in early that alternative rock itself had become bloated and self-important by the late nineties.  So when we play The Ramones, The Clash, Buzzcocks, Gang Of Four, The Cure, The Smiths, The Pixies, and P.J. Harvey, it's because we know their music remains relevant.

We play our classics not only because they're great, but because, so many years hence, they still have something to say - and our current music is evidence that someone's listening.

(And when we do it all day on Altrok's Eighties Friday, that goes double.)

All that said, bet you're wondering what classic and new songs we've added...

This week, our Grinders (the stuff we play heavily) include music from:

 - Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly.
 - Bob Mould
 - Louis XIV
 - The Futureheads
 - Lismore
 - Dan Le Sac Vs. Scroobius Pip

Plus we've got newly-added music:

 - Dive Index - Second Guessing
 - Evangelicals - Skeleton Man
 - FortyFives - Control
 - The Good Natured - Our Very Last
 - Hammer No More The Fingers - Orgy
 - HEALTH - Lost Time (Pictureplane Remix)
 - Joe Jackson - The Invisible Man
 - Ladyhawk - I Don't Always Know What You're Saying
 - LoneLady - Early The Haste Comes
 - The Mae Shi - Run To Your Grave
 - The Magnetic Fields - Xavier Says
 - Peggy Sue & The Pirates - The New Song (Dan Le Sac Remix)
 - Pete & The Pirates - Not A Friend
 - Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin - Glue Girls
 - We Start Fires - Let's Get Our Hands Dirty

Our Featured Classics:

 - The Cure - Jumping Someone Else's Train
 - Fun Boy Three - The Lunatics (Have Taken Over The Asylum)
 - Tommy Keene - Places That Are Gone
 - Let's Active - Room With A View
 - Madness - House Of Fun
 - New Order - Regret
 - Gary Numan - We Are So Fragile
 - The Replacements - Androgynous
 - The Saints - Big Hits (On The Underground)
 - Teenage Fanclub - Sparky's Dream

As always, thanks for listening!

- Sean Carolan
  Altrok Radio
  On your computer right now at http://www.altrokradio.com
  On the radio Fridays at 10pm, at 90.5 The Night