compress audio

lollygagger lollygagger@...
Thu Jan 17 00:11:38 CET 2008

Hi All

I appreciate that about a month there was a discussion about the best way to compress audio.

Well this has turned into a real issue for me because recently a 500gb hard drive died on me taking with it 5years worth of music saved to wav format. Fortunately I do have copies on cd for normal playing. It now seems a good idea to back up my back up by having a compressed version for all my audio collection going back over 30years (since I was a teen)

Can any one suggest a format that would allow for lossless compression? Can anyone suggest a good program that can do this? I have been browsing www.download.com and there does appear to be a number of options but if I am going to start backing up my back up for the last 30years I would appreciate any thoughts from others who have been doing the same thing :) Gordon

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: llrc057
  To: peel@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 8:45 PM
  Subject: [peel] Salt Tank tape.

  Thanks ken, I have duly renamed the recording to JP490508 as suggested.

  Over the weekend I will re-encode these files down to 160K mp3 files,
  although the quality will not be as good. The tapes were recorded at
  24/96 as wav files. After using noise reduction etc they were finally
  converted to 16/44. The flac files were derived from these masters. So,
  yes the file size is large but it is high quality audio. I'll post both
  in future.

  Regards
  Gary