[OT] [Altrok] Update #188: Support Your Local Web Radio Station!

hubcity@... hubcity@...
Mon Jan 14 13:54:49 CET 2008

Folks,

Firstly, the important stuff:

Altrok Radio is at http://www.altrokradio.com

Please remember to tune in whenever you can - every hour you listen turns into more visibility for the station; we show up higher in search listings, and such like that.  And if you'd like to help us keep the stream running, check out the advertisers if they appeal to you; your interest actually helps fund us.

Of course, you can't help us if you find that listening is either annoying or difficult, and there are lots of ways you can smooth that process out.  Here's a few:

1. Use an MP3 player to listen.  Live365, our provider, starts off with a web-based player that uses Windows Media to play the station.  Unfortunately, that creates two problems:  the station's being translated from its native MP3 format, which deteriorates the sound quality, and the player window itself may open other ad windows that degrade your system's performance.

Thankfully, they provide an option to use your own MP3 player.  You can make this change by logging into the Live365 website, then choosing "My Live365" and clicking "listen Settings" - under "MP3 Player", choose the option that enables your own default MP3 player.

Then, when you start the station, just close all the other web-based windows.  (If you like having the songs display, you can go to http://www.altrok.com/streams.shtml to see what's playing.)

2. Once you've done that, you might consider using Jet Audio (www.jetaudio.com) to listen.  It comes with MP3Pro decoding, meaning you get to listen in fully CD quality.

Now that you've done all that, you might want to know what you're listening to...

This week, our Grinders (the new stuff we play heavily) include music from:

 - Mitch Easter
 - Lady Fortune
 - Cazals
 - Eliza Doolittle
 - Okkervil River
 - Ida Maria

Plus we've got newly-added music:

 - Ian Ball - Failure
 - Broken Records - A Good Reason
 - Dartz! - Network! Network! Network!
 - Death Cab For Cutie - World Shut Your Mouth
 - Does It Offend You Yeah - Doomed Now
 - Foals - Astronauts And All
 - The Futureheads - Crash
 - The Ghost Frequency - Money on the Fire
 - The Magnetic Fields - Three-Way
 - Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks - Baltimore
 - Bob Mould - The Silence Between Us
 - Pendulum - Granite
 - These New Puritans - �4
 - Vampire Weekend - A-Punk

Our Newly-Added Classics:

 - Blur - Jubilee
 - The Clash - Complete Control
 - Duran Duran - Planet Earth
 - The Human League - Seconds
 - Joy Division - Incubation
 - Ministry - Jesus Built My Hotrod
 - Naked Eyes - When The Lights Go Out
 - Nirvana - Lithium (Dirty Funker Remix)
 - Split Enz - Shark Attack
 - David Sylvian - Orpheus

As always, thanks for listening!

- Sean Carolan
  Altrok Radio
  On your computer right now at http://www.altrokradio.com
  On the radio Fridays at 10pm, at 90.5 The Night