Peel Headstone

ken garner ken_garner@...
Tue Feb 19 01:30:52 CET 2008

sorry, there was a leader too, true, but both pieces have produced
some comments and letters already on the Telegraph site, some nutty,
most supportive of John and critical of the paper. It does seem a
particularly easy and mean target to go for on Valentine's Day...

PS. I think I should at this point point out that the single greatest
number of factual errors I spotted about Peel around his death
appeared in the Telegraph. Their page 3 report on the day after the
funeral was particularly remiss. I have always enjoyed shocking my
journalism students by saying that the Telegraph is one of the two
national papers I enjoy most, and yet which also drives me crazy, but
I must say my feelings about the Telegraph have changed dramatically
since those days in late 2004. You could always trust its foreign and
business coverage, for example, whatever you thought about other
stuff. Now, I'm not so sure...