Peel signature tune

ken garner ken_garner@...
Wed Feb 6 22:09:18 CET 2008

Peel decided to drop it, and have no sig. at all, a very long time
ago indeed. I could be wrong, but I think it got dropped at the time
Walters retired (end June 91) or possibly even earlier, at the shift
to weekend late nights (end Sept 90). I have one or two complete show
tapes from 91 and 92 and there is no 'pickin the blues' at the start
of those. Others with more extensive collections than mine may be
able to confirm. I have a vague memory of asking Peel about it around
the time, and seem to recall he felt it was a bit tired. More likely,
Walters, the professional show producer, may have insisted on using
it till the end of his shift, but after his departure, and knowing
Mike Hawkes was unlikely to contradict him, Peel just quietly stopped
using it without asking anyone. It also helped facilitate all those
great handovers between Kershaw and himself on Sunday - and, later,
Saturday - nights. Sorry I left that nugget out of the book! Not
crucial, but I had said when it was introduced (end Sept 1975)...

ken