Festive Fifty 2007

dunelm61 dunelm@...
Mon Feb 4 19:12:14 CET 2008

Here's a fun thing for you to try at home.

1. Google the word "ironic" and the expression "tongue in cheek" and
follow the links.
2. Listen again to the cover versions you mention. Do they sound
different now? Good.

This process may also help you to discern – without the aid of a
smiley face - when messages are posted here in a spirit of convivial
mischief rather than total earnestness. You can then save your
freshly-laundered indignation for a more deserving occasion.

PS: I've never much cared for Linda Ronstadt. Can we look forward to
you providing a list of Linda Ronstadt covers performed by half-
decent indie bands some time soon?

In peel@yahoogroups.com, michael stoecker <michstoecker@...> wrote:

Alright the Springsteen rules -

NO ARTIST THAT COVERS A SPRINGSTEEN SONG SHALL BE ENJOYED OR PLAYED
FOR OTHERS.
- This includes ballboy, Johnny Cash, Tortoise, Patti Smtih, Bonnie
Prince Billy among others.

NO ARTIST WHO REFERENCES ENJOYMENT OF SPRINGSTEEN SHALL BE LISTENED
TO AS WELL.
- Badly Drawn Boy, Spoon, The White Stripes you're all out of here.

I'm really glad that we've settled this matter for everybody. I was
really getting tired of having all these awesome ballboy and Will
Oldham albums hanging around. It'll be nice to have the space on the
shelf.

:)