Book of Essays

ken garner ken_garner@...
Wed Aug 6 21:47:04 CEST 2008

thanks. I knew from Sheila and William that this was at last being planned from around
about Christmas time. But I did not know they were going to mix the articles with diary
entries and other stuff. The blurb suggests - though this may not necessarily be an
accurate reflection of the content - that the collection has therefore been chosen / shaped
partly according to how the articles work together as a 'second autobiography' - so maybe
not so much from Sounds or The Observer then. We will all buy it of course and like it, but
die hards like us may I suspect want more more more.

I had an email conversation with William in which i did some rough calculations about
what the vast selection job might be like (which I am sure he hardly needed to hear!): I
worked out that John must have been doing an article of an average of 800 words almost
every week for most years since 68 (successively for Disc and Music Echo, International
Times, The Listener, Sounds, Observer, Independent, Radio Times, etc), which comes to,
er, at least 1.4 million words. So it would be theoretically possible to make and justify
three separate books out of a selection from each of the Sounds, Observer* and Radio
Times years respectively - Jeremy Clarkson just throws 50 or 60 columns into a large-
print paperback and shifts a quarter of a million copies! Even to select 10% of the grand
extant total would fill two doorstep hardbacks of approx 600-800 pages each.

[*I have a strong hunch that the Guardian empire may well do a volume of Peel in the
Observer complete anyway in a year or two - it's exactly the kid of thing they do, eg
Orwell's Observer years)

But the family (and the publishers, of course) were keen to get on with it and agree on the
most notable / funniest / controversial pieces and get them out there, and I am sure they
will have come up with an enjoyable taster

But we will have to wait a long time for A COMPLETE COLLECTED PEEL JOURNALISM (which
would still actually only print in full about 20% of it all), and which would fill 2 or 3
hardback vols plus intro, notes, chronologies etc. Maybe in 2020? 2030?

ken

--- In peel@...m, Robert Ward <r0bertward@...> wrote:

> looks like this is the fella - "The Olivetti Chronicles"  presumably named after the make
of his typewriter

> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olivetti-Chronicles-John-
Peel/dp/059306061X/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218023423&sr=8-14