Joy Division.....at the wrong speed (of course)

martinpercival martinpercival@...
Sun Apr 13 20:27:55 CEST 2008

Just discovered this group after picking up Ken Garner's new Peel book.

I've not had a chance to dig through all the old postings yet so, if
this has been posted before please forgive me, but the new Grant
Gee/Jon Savage documentary on Joy Division has a wonderful section
where an audio clip is played of Peel playing the new (March 1980)
Sordide Senitimental single at 45rpm ....when of course it was a 33
rpm release despite it being a 7 inch single. Realising what he's done
Peel laughs and then goes on to slate the French for their cardboard
tasting apples and makes a few other inappropriate (but very funny)
comments that would never be tolerated by the BBC today! I can
recommend the documentary by the way.

I wish I still had my C120 cassette tape of the Peel show in 1980 that
featured an Undertones and Delta 5 session.

Cheers

Martin