Arena Special - sunday, tonite

thebarguest thebarguest@...
Mon Oct 1 02:11:39 CEST 2007

Wow, wow, wow ............

What a great docu on Peely - maybe the best ......

A few observations .......

1. first 10 mins - those kids rehearsing in the big detached house
with "working class" accents - in the words of
John Foxx era Ultravox, "dislocation", perhaps ....... but then the
class system is so all-pervasive in UK, that maybe, quick  "makeover"
was used (a word unknown in 81) ............

2. Peel & Walters looked like twins - cropped beards & short hair,
plus mild Liverpool, Brum accents (very similar) ........
    the Ant & Dec of 1980 .........

3. Weird seeing Peel doing the inverted snob, mimicking an upper-
class accent (class prejudice is still paramount in UK in 2007 -
just listen to any 'Johnny Rotten' interview or walk into any UK pub).

4. Thank u to all who led to this docu being shown !

5. Great to see those old cup, semi-circle headphones - my pair
   was Pioneer, I think, ah, nostalgia .......

6. Some musical / visual excerpts of Peel successes from the previous
few years would have put the whole prog in context.

Cheers,
Henry Hunt

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Duffy" <eddie.duffy@...> wrote:

> Thanks for the info!
>
> I've just checked, and it's on the capping schedule at UKNova, so
I'll
> be grabbing that for sure.
>
> --- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "dunelm61" <dunelm@> wrote:
> >

> > As part of their Radio Week, BBC4 are showing the "Today
Carshalton