bits and pieces

ken garner ken_garner@...
Sat Nov 10 22:15:24 CET 2007

Blimey, I had completely forgotten about peel and walters co-hosting
that TV show on pop videos until you mentioned it, but yes, I can see
that now in my memory, that's right roger, it was called Video
Jukebox. Might it have been one part of a BBC2 Pop Video night or
some such? My guess would be sometime between 85-89... ah, here it
is, just found it in INfax catalogue:

"Broadcast history: 09 May 1986 21:31-04:01 (BBC 1) 09 May 1986 22:31-
05:01 (BBC 1) 11 Jun 1987 22:31-05:01 (BBC 2) Editor: Producer:
Notes: FIRST REEL WAS 72 PC ON 1987 REPEAT TX Description: John PEEL
& John WALTERS pres prog telling story of pop video, traced through
the musicals & promotional shorts of the 30s, the jazz sounds of the
40s, rock 'n' roll films of 50s, pop progs of 60s, 1st videos of 70s
& cable channels of 80s ContributorsJohn Peel John Walters Kevin
Loader Richard Mcmanan-Smith (Designer) John Archer (Producer)."

The Peel radio shows giving the history of a band and its connections
Roger recalls can be found in my book's shows index, p216:
M 9/8/76 - F 20/8/76, therefore 10 shows, "retrospectives" on The
Who, Family, Fairports, Roxy Music, STones, Cream, Soft Machine,
Faces, Yardbirds/Zepp, Beatles

I had that problem too with downloading the mystery christmas show
in "rar", whatever that is. I'd like to get it mp3 someone. Which one
is it? I have 98 (new order), 99, and 02, but not 96 (billy bragg)
00, 01, or 03. Or is it conceivably an earlier one? The holy grail
here would be a complete tape of the 26/12/70 original show featurng
the carols concert, a session oft repeated in fragments (incl on
ANita's first carols concert revival of 99), but the show itself???.
I loved the 2000 one but for some daft reason did not tape it, though
I did tape the "25 years of the Festive 50" spesh a couple of days
earlier.

It is of course possible that Walters depped unannounced for Peel
after spring 98, and I don't know - i could not double check every
show in Radio Times / written archives! - but unlikely, it was never
marked up on his wall planners, and certainly I do not recall him
doing any after the show moved to weekends and became 3 hour shows
for his last 9 months in charge, 90-91. Was the House of Love
Christine their electric record version, or the acoustic sessions
version of 89?

ken